Edward Akelman, M.D.
President RIH Orthopaedic Foundation
President of University Orthopedics, Inc.
Vincent Zecchino Professor and Chairman, Department of Orthopaedics, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.
Surgeon-in-Chief, Department of Orthopaedics at Rhode Island Hospital and Miriam Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island
Chief of the Division of Hand, Upper Extremity and Microvascular Surgery
Dr. Akelman is the Chairman of the Orthopaedic departments at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Rhode Island Hospital and Miriam Hospital. Dr. Akelman is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery(ABOS) and holds the subspecialty certificate in orthopaedic surgery of the hand. He devotes his practice to hand, wrist and elbow conditions. He has expertise in caring for common hand problems such as Dupuytren’s disease, hand fractures, sports injuries, arthritis and nerve problems of the hand, wrist and elbow.
Dartmouth Medical School
Orthopaedic residency training at Yale New Haven Hospital
Hand Surgery Fellowship – Roosevelt Hospital in New York City
Professional Awards and Achievements:
- Lee Osterman Excellence in Education Award recipient, American Society for Surgery of the Hand 2017
- Brown Hand Surgery Fellowship Director from 1991 to 2016
- 67th President of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 2012-2013
- Department of Orthopaedics Resident Teaching Awards – 1998, 2003, 2011
- Chairman of the Council on Education of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) from 2009-2014
- Past President of the New England Hand Society and Rhode Island Orthopaedic Society
- Former President of the Staff Association of Rhode Island Hospital